The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, is now the largest U.S. exchange program offering opportunities for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide. English Teaching Assistant grantees come from a wide range of disciplines and are placed in classrooms abroad to provide assistance to the local English teachers. ETAs help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for the U.S.
The age and academic level of the students varies by country, ranging from kindergarten to university level. The language skill required also varies by country. You can see which countries offer ETA grants and the relevant details on the ETA programs page.
- U.S. citizen
- Senior or recent alumnus/a
- Applicants who will have completed a Ph.D. by the start of the grant are encouraged to apply to the Fulbright Scholar Program
- Fulfill teaching requirements (varies by country and grant)
- Fulfill language requirements (varies by country and grant)
- A completed application
- Current students and alumni are encouraged to list their Penn State campus as their institution rather than apply at-large
- Personal statement (one page; guidance here)
- Statement of grant purpose (one page; guidance here)
- Three recommendations (guidance here)
- Foreign language evaluation (if required; guidance here)
Office Pre-Application Date - August 7, 2023
To be included in the campus interview process, you must begin your application in their online portal and select your campus, grant type, and country. Upon completing these steps, you will receive an email with a scheduling poll and an explanation of what materials are needed for the subsequent office deadline.
Office Application Deadline - August 14, 2023 (Study/Research) and August 28, 2023 (ETA)
You must submit a completed application through the Fulbright online application system. The office will share the submitted materials with the interview committee.
Disclaimer: Applicants who fail to meet the above deadlines will not be included in the campus interviews and will receive limited feedback.
Month of September - Campus interviews are conducted
The office will assemble committees of Penn State faculty and staff to interview applicants. During the interview, applicants will receive extensive feedback on their application materials. This interview is the only guaranteed interview in the entire Fulbright application process. Applicants will have the chance to continue to revise their materials after the campus evaluation process.
National Application Deadline - October 10, 2023