The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, is now the largest U.S. exchange program offering opportunities for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide. Applicants for study/research awards either design their own projects, typically working with advisers at foreign universities or other institutes of higher education, or enroll in one year of graduate degree study.
The study/research awards are available in approximately 140 countries. Program requirements vary by country, so the first step is to familiarize yourself with the program summary for the host country. You can also see which countries offer graduate degree study, or field specific awards on the study/research award page.
- U.S. citizen
- Senior or recent alumnus/a
- Applicants who will have completed a Ph.D. by the start of the grant are encouraged to apply to the Fulbright Scholar Program
- Fulfill language requirements (varies by country/grant)
- A completed application
- Current students and alumni are encouraged to list their Penn State campus as their institution rather than apply at-large
- Personal statement (one page; guidance here)
- Statement of grant purpose (two pages; guidance here)
- Three letters of recommendations (guidance here)
- Affiliation letter (generally required for research and not for study, but check the program summary of the host country to be sure; guidance here)
- Foreign language evaluation (if required; guidance here)
- Official transcript(s)
Office Pre-Application Deadline - August 12, 2022
To be included in the campus interview process, you must begin your application in their online portal and select your campus, grant type, and country. Upon completing these steps, you will receive an email with a scheduling poll and an explanation of what materials are needed for the subsequent office deadline.
Office Application Deadline - August 19, 2022 (Study/Research) and August 26, 2022 (ETA)
You must submit a completed application through the Fulbright online application system. The office will share the submitted materials with the your interview committee.
Disclaimer: Applicants who fail to meet the above deadlines will not be included in the campus interviews and will receive limited feedback.
Month of September - Campus interviews are conducted
The office will assemble committees of Penn State faculty and staff to interview applicants. During the interview, applicants will receive extensive feedback on their application materials. This interview is the only guaranteed interview in the entire Fulbright application process. Applicants will have the chance to continue to revise their materials after the campus evaluation process.
National Deadline - October 11, 2022
Applications must be submitted directly using the online application system.