Penn State's Undergraduate Research Ambassadors are a team of students with experience in undergraduate research and creative activity in various multi-disciplinary academic fields throughout the Penn State community, from humanities and social sciences to business to visual and performing arts to STEM.
If you would like to have a research ambassador visit your class or student organization, please submit a request form.
- Full-time Penn State undergraduate in good academic standing
- Overall grade point average of 3.0 or greater
- Able to commit to a full academic year or more
- Have participated in undergraduate research for at least two semesters OR one full summer
- Interest and ability to share about your research experience at Penn State
- Willingness to learn more about undergraduate research programs and events
- Effective public speaking and communication skills
- Ability to provide an encouraging, supportive environment for culturally diverse students
This program is a volunteer opportunity. Candidates should have a passion for promoting undergraduate research at Penn State and helping students connect with various research opportunities. The weekly time requirement and expected hours are flexible.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- One-on-one peer advising to help students get involved in research, find research opportunities, and understand the benefits of becoming involved
- Participating in panel discussions and other events
- Developing and leading information sessions and workshops
- Visiting classes and student organizations to describe research opportunities
Ambassadors will help to represent undergraduate research at events coordinated by URFM and by their home campus.
Mandatory training for the Ambassadors program will be offered this fall. Two possible times are being considered: Wednesdays from 6 - 7 PM Eastern and Fridays from 2:30 - 3:30 PM Eastern. Training will conducted virtually, beginning the week of October 18 and concluding the week of November 15. Participants are expected to attend at least four of the five sessions.
All applications are due by 11:59 PM Eastern on August 31, 2021.
Hover over a photo to learn more about an ambassador's research interests or click on a photo to learn more about an ambassador's research journey and to schedule a peer advising appointment with them through email or Starfish.