The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation is seeking nominations for its $15,000 scholarship for an outstanding Penn State undergraduate in engineering, math or natural or applied sciences. Students nominated for Astronaut Scholarships should exhibit motivation, imagination, and exceptional performance in the science or engineering field of their major and should be intellectually daring in order to join the ranks of the elite Astronaut Scholars.
- U.S citizen
- Sophomore or junior (1-2 years of study remaining after applying)
- 3.0 GPA or higher (3.7 or higher, highly recommended)
- Intend to pursue research or advance your field upon completion of your final degree(s)
- A completed application form
- The application form is generally distributed to our office in mid-December. To receive a copy of the form and begin an application, please email the office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Personal research statement (one-page maximum) describing background, interests, how you stand out from other undergraduate researchers at Penn State, career aspirations, and your interest in impacting the world
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from a Penn State faculty member)
- Letters should come directly from your references and can be emailed so long as they are on letterhead and have a signature
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- For the campus evaluation process, we will print advising transcripts on your behalf. If chosen as a nominee, an official transcript will need to be submitted.
Office Application Deadline - January 30, 2022
Given that the university is required to nominate its candidates, there is an office application deadline and evaluation process. The university can nominate up to two applicants.
To be considered for University nomination, you must email the office (email@example.com) the application materials listed above, including letters of recommendation. Afterward, you will be notified if you’ve been nominated or not. Nominees will work with the office on the application materials required by the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.
National Application Deadline - March 11, 2022 (Expected)
Application materials required by the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation must be submitted directly to our office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).