Boren Scholarships, funded by the National Security Education Program (NSEP), promote long-term linguistic and cultural immersion and encourage American undergraduates to focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study deemed critical to U.S. national security. Boren Scholars receive up to $25,000 in order to add an important international and language component to their undergraduate education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency. Study abroad proposals for one or more semesters are strongly encouraged. The exception is made for STEM applicants, who can apply for a summer abroad. In exchange for funding, all Boren Scholars commit to a one-year service requirement with the federal government. Service must begin within 3 years of graduation. Check out the Boren Info Session Here.
- U.S citizen
- Current undergraduate
- Matriculated in an undergraduate program for the duration of the award
- International program must meet Penn State’s standards and take place in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the United States
- Must commit to spending at least one year after undergraduate studies working in federal service; service must begin within 3 years of graduation
- A completed application
- Study abroad program and budget (guidance here)
- Two essays (guidelines here)
- Two letters of recommendation (details here)
- A third letter is optional
- Current transcripts should include fall
- Language self-assessment (guidelines here)
- Language proficiency form (optional, details here)
Office Application Deadline – December 4, 2023
Given that the University is asked to evaluate each applicant, there is an office application deadline and a campus evaluation process. To be considered for the campus evaluation process, applicants must upload, but not submit the following materials through by the date above.
Applicants will have a chance to revise their materials after the campus evaluation process.
National Application Deadline – January 31, 2024