The Churchill Scholarship provides funding to American students for a year of Master’s study in science, mathematics, and engineering at the University of Cambridge, based at Churchill College. The Scholarship was set up at the request of Sir Winston Churchill in order to fulfill his vision of US-UK scientific exchange with the goal of advancing science and technology on both sides of the Atlantic, helping to ensure our future prosperity and security. Churchill Scholars receive funding for one year of graduate study, including tuition, stipend, and travel expenses.
- U.S. citizen
- Senior or recent alumnus/a
- Between 19 and 26 years old
- 3.7 GPA or higher (3.8 or higher, highly recommended)
- Demonstrate research excellence
- One essay (750-1000 words) indicating your academic and other relevant interests, including a brief statement matching current academic background to proposed course of study
- Indication of scholarship(s) for which you wish to be nominated
- Two letters of recommendation addressed to the campus evaluation committee
- List of additional letter writers and brief descriptions of the contexts in which you know each
- 6-8 additional writers for Rhodes
- 3-5 additional writers for Marshall, Mitchell and Churchill
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Office Application Deadline - March 21, 2021
To be considered for University nomination, you must submit the materials listed above to our office via InfoReady. Afterward, you will be notified if you’ve been nominated or not. Nominees will have a chance to revise their materials, if necessary, prior to final submission. Nominees will spend the summer working with the office on the application materials required by the Churchill Foundation.
National Application Deadline - November 1, 2021 (Expected)
Application materials required by the Churchill Foundation must be submitted online by the Undergraduate Research and Fellowships Mentoring Office with the accompanying letter of institutional endorsement and letters of recommendation.