The Critical Language Scholarship Program, funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, seeks to expand dramatically the number of Americans studying and mastering critical need foreign languages by providing American undergraduate and graduate students with group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences overseas. The summer programs are fully funded and last 7 – 10 weeks.
- U.S. citizen
- Current undergraduate or graduate student
- 18 years of age or older
- Fulfill language requirements (varies by language; guidance here)
- Intend to continue language study beyond the scholarship period, and later apply critical language skills in future professional careers
- A completed application
- Short essays on resilience, preparation, citizen diplomacy, and commitment to language study (word limit varies)
- Statement of purpose (500 words)
- One letter of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae or resume
National Application Deadline - November 15, 2022
Applications must be submitted directly using the online application system.