The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) funds and supports international exchange by providing research internships in science and engineering for graduate students (master’s or PhD), alumni from the undergraduate RISE program, and former DAAD scholars from the U.S. or Canada who are interested in gaining career-building research and work experience in a German company involved in science and engineering. Applicants must be in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, earth science, or engineering. RISE Professional’s research and development internships are with leading German companies and non-academic research institutions and last 6 weeks - 6 months, beginning as early as May 15.
- Current Master’s or PhD student at a North American, British or Irish university OR alumnus/a from the undergraduate RISE program studying at a North American, British or Irish university
- International students in these countries must be in the country for at least 12 months at the time of application
- Matriculated in an undergraduate or graduate program for the duration of the award
- German language requirements vary according to the internship placement
- A completed application
- Verification/certificate of enrollment
- Copy of passport
- Previous Bachelor and/or Master certificate degree (mandatory, if applicable)
- List of courses that will be completed by the time the internship begins
- Letter of reference from a past employer (if available)
- Motivation (cover) letter addressed to the companies of interest
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member in your field of study at Penn State
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Note: The Certificate of Enrollment should be completed by the Registrar's office. They typically do not complete the form provided by DAAD, but can give you a degree enrollment verification which you can submit along with the certificate.
National Application Deadline - December 14, 2020 (Expected)