The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) funds and supports international exchange by providing research internships in science and engineering. RISE is a summer program for undergraduate students from the United States, Canada and the UK. Applicants must be in biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences or engineering. RISE interns are partnered with doctoral students whom they assist and who serve as their mentors at top research institutions across Germany. Internships last 2 – 3 months. All recipients are invited to the three-day RISE Germany meeting in Heidelberg at the beginning of July and will receive a travel allowance to attend the meeting.
German language skills are not required for most positions but would be helpful to manage everyday life outside of the laboratory. The working language will generally be English.
- Enrolled in undergraduate program in the United States, Canada, or the UK
- Sophomore or junior (1-2 years of study remaining after applying)
- Completed at least 2 years of full-time study at Penn State by the fall semester following application submission
- A completed application
- Verification/certificate of enrollment
- List of courses that will be completed by the time the internship begins
- Motivation (cover) letter for each project of interest (max 3)
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member in your field of study at Penn State
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Note: The Certificate of Enrollment should be completed by the Registrar's office. They typically do not complete the form provided by DAAD, but can give you a degree enrollment verification which you can submit.
National Application Deadline: December 15, 2022
Applications must be submitted directly using the online application system.