Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students from outside the U.K. to study at the University of Cambridge. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of a person’s intellectual ability, leadership capacity and desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world by providing service to their communities and applying their talents and knowledge to improve the lives of others. The Scholarship covers one to three years of full-time, residential graduate study at Cambridge University, including tuition, stipend, and travel expenses. Disclaimer: The proposed graduate study cannot be in neuroscience or for professional degrees that emphasize skills and practical analysis such as business, law, public health, public policy, and social work.
- Citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Senior or recent alumnus/a
- 3.7 GPA of higher (3.8 or higher, highly recommended)
- Demonstrate academic excellence, superior fit with proposed graduate program, leadership potential, and commitment to improving the lives of others
- A completed application
- Personal statement (3,000 words) explaining why you are applying for the scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria
- Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
- One letter of recommendation that assesses an applicant’s fit with the scholarship program
While this scholarship does not require office involvement, we highly encourage applicants to notify the office by email (email@example.com) to allow us to help them prepare their written materials before the national deadline in October.
National Deadline - October 11, 2023
Regardless of deadline, applications must be submitted directly using Cambridge’s Graduate Admissions Department Self-Service website.
*Note: International applicants are in a separate cycle with later deadlines.