This scholarship provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students who are eligible for or currently receiving Federal Pell Grant funding to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Award amounts vary depending on the length of study and student need. The average award is approximately $4,000.
- U.S. citizen
- Undergraduate at the time of the proposed program
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of the application or proposed program
- Duration of program abroad must be least 3 weeks
- Program eligible to earn credit at Penn State
- A completed application
- Statement of (Program) Purpose (7,000 characters; )
- Community Impact Essay (6,000 characters; )
- Critical Need Language Award Essay (optional) for students who plan on studying a critical need language during their program
- Identification of study abroad and financial aid advisors
Application Deadline for Spring 2023 & Early Deadline for Summer 2023* - October 6, 2022
Application Deadline for Summer 2023*, Fall 2023 & Academic Year 2023-2024 - March 7, 2023 (Expected)
*Applicants seeking funding for the summer can apply in both application cycles and have two chances at receiving funding.
Applications must be submitted directly using the online application system. However, applicants are encouraged to first work with the Study Abroad office to identify an appropriate program and then work with our office to prepare a competitive application.