The Mitchell Scholars Program, named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell’s pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service. The Scholarship offers one year of study in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
The selection criteria include:
- A sustained commitment to community and public service.
- U.S. citizen
- Senior or recent alumni
- Between 18 and 29 years old
- 3.7 GPA or higher (3.8 or higher, highly recommended)
Penn State is required to nominate candidates, so students should follow this on-campus nomination process to be considered:
- Step 1: Email URFM@psu.edu your intent to apply.
- Step 2: Meet with URFM staff to go over the application process and scholarship details. Appointments can be made via Starfish or by contacting URFM.
- Step 3: Complete the Mitchell Application. This can be obtained by emailing URFM@ psu.edu. The application will include:
- Essay prompts
- A CV
- A recent transcript
- Description of Program of Study in Ireland including institution choice.
- 3 recommendations addressed to the UK Awards Nomination Committee must be emailed separately by the recommender to URFM@psu.edu. Recommendations should include at least 1 academic recommendation. You will also be required to include in your application the name of 1 additional recommender that will be included in your final Mitchell application should you be nominated by Penn State. Information on appropriate recommenders can be found on The Mitchell Scholarship website.
- Step 4: Successful applicants will be invited for an interview with the Penn State UK Awards Nomination Committee after the applicable office deadline.
Office Application Priority Deadline – May 10, 2024
It is strongly recommended that applicants complete their application by the priority deadline. Applicants for this deadline will have the benefit of early notification of nomination status along with enhanced mentoring support over the summer to revise application materials for the national deadline.
Office Application Final Deadline – August 15, 2024
National Application Deadline – TBD
Application materials required by the Mitchell Scholarship program must be submitted online via the portal and include an institutional letter of support prepared by the URFM office.