The Rhodes Trust offers the “oldest and most celebrated” international postgraduate awards for students to study at the University of Oxford. Rhodes Scholars are young leaders of outstanding character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others, and show promise of becoming value-driven leaders for the world’s future.
- U.S. citizen or lawful resident for at least five years at time of application
- Senior or recent alumnus/a
- Between 18 and 23 years old on October 1st the year of application
- 3.7 GPA or higher (3.8 or higher, highly recommended)
- Demonstrate leadership potential
- One essay (750-1000 words) indicating your academic and other relevant interests, including a brief statement matching current academic background to proposed course of study
- Indication of scholarship(s) for which you wish to be nominated
- Two letters of recommendation addressed to the campus evaluation committee
- List of additional letter writers and brief descriptions of the contexts in which you know each
- 6-8 additional writers for Rhodes
- 3-5 additional writers for Marshall, Mitchell and Churchill
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Office Application Deadline - March 21, 2021
Giving that the University is required to nominate its candidates, there is an office application deadline and a campus evaluation process.
To be considered for University nomination, you must submit the materials listed above to our office via InfoReady. Afterward, you will be notified if you’ve been nominated or not.
National Application Deadline – October 6, 2021 (Expected)
Application materials required by the Rhodes Trust must be submitted directly using the online application system. Nominees must register the director of the Undergraduate Research and Fellowships Mentoring Office as the endorser so that the office can upload the accompanying letter of institutional endorsement.